Search

Search My Garden Blog with Google Custom Search

29.9.14

The Laurance S. Rockefeller Preserve

Day one of the National Park Foundation's #ALEX14 expedition was a good indicator of what I would be expecting on this trip. The National Park Foundation and the American Latino Heritage Fund conceived and organized an amazing experience in a national park for eight Latino bloggers of various backgrounds and niches. I was the only gardener on the trip.

National Park Foundation #ALEX14

The day before #ALEX14 officially started I had traveled from Chicago to Los Angeles and then to Salt Lake City to meet the rest of the bloggers that would be part of the expedition.




Million Dollar Cowboy Bar Jackson

The evening before Day 1 we arrived in the charming town of Jackson, Wyoming. I wish I had been able to spend more time in this town because there were so many missed photo opportunities. The Million Dollar Cowboy Bar really deserved to be photographed a lot more. From Jackson, we drove about another hour in the dark to Togwotee Mountain Lodge which would be  our "base camp" during the expedition in Grand Teton National Park. The Teton Range are referred to as the "Mountains of Imagination" because of what the name alludes to, but at night they certainly play with your imagination. Even though I couldn't clearly see them that night driving up to Togwotee, I could feel them.

Togwotee Mountain Lodge Cabin

I was told we would be sharing "rooms" at Togwotee. What I didn't know going in is that I would be sharing an awesome little cabin that would reignite my desire for a tiny house. This was my first time sleeping in a cabin and spending a night in the woods. The morning I took this photo I was pleasantly surprised I had survived without a bear attack or a spree killer breaking in.

Grand Teton Morning

The first day I woke up early. Watching the sky brighten, the sun rise and spill through the lodgepole pine trees, I finally understood why so many ancient civilizations worshiped the sun. It was one of the most glorious sights I have ever been witness to. It was a sign of things to come.

Laurance Rockefeller Preserve

Later that morning we arrived at the Laurance S. Rockefeller Preserve Center. Today we are more familiar with the Kardashians than we are with the Rockefellers. But there was a time where every move made by a Rockefeller was documented with the same obsession. The Rockefeller family is probably glad they are no longer in the spotlight, but it should be noted that without their generosity, this 1,106-acre preserve at the southern edge of Phelps Lake would not be possible.

John D. Rockefeller, Jr. purchased much of the land in the area starting back in the 1920s. It boggled my mind that anyone could have once "owned" the land I was walking on. It just seems to immense and an impossible feat. Imagine someone telling you that someone own the galaxy we reside in. That's what it felt like to me when the park ranger explained how the preserve came into existence.

Bear Claws on Aspen tree Rockefeller preserve

This photo of Aspen tree bark may not look like much. I know it didn't look like much to me until after the park ranger explained how we could interpret the scarring on the tree's bark. Can you see it for yourself? The tree shows a lot of scars from being scratched by bears. Those long lines are made by the bear's claws. The threat of seeing bears in the Teton Range never materialized for our group. We kept hearing of bear sightings, but we never actually saw any.

Bridge Rockefeller Preserve

There were so many paths, bridges, turns and bends where I was sure a bear would step out, but they never did. I wonder if there were time when we were very close to a bear and just didn't know it.

Hiking Rockefeller Preserve Grand Teton

Here Alanna Sobel, Communications Manager for the National Park Foundation, stops to see if I'm being attacked by a bear. Moments before I took the photo I remember yelling something to the effect of "OMG, I can't believe this!" The reason was that the scene of the bloggers walking up ahead and through the trail looked like something out of a commercial for an organic, gluten free, fair trade, artisanal energy bar. I would have many moments where I was struck dumb by the beauty of the Grand Tetons.

Blue Bells Grand Teton

Of the eight bloggers and social media types the National Park Foundation chose to go on #ALEX14 I was the only one that had anything to do with gardening. I must have missed about 30% of the entire trip because I was too busy looking at the ground hoping to spot plants and flowers. Unfortunately, early September is too late in the season for much flower-spotting, but I did see these charming blue bells quite often on the hikes.

Lichen Rocks Rockefeller Preserve

And there were lots of rocks with lichen. So much lichen.

Mushrooms Rockefeller Preserve

Although, I was really surprised by the mushrooms everywhere. I mean, they were everywhere! There must have been a rain event in the days prior to our arrival because there were fungi sprouting everywhere. It made me wish I was a mushroom blogger because I would have had a field day.

Rockefeller Preserve River

This was my first real hike, and the Laurance S. Rockefeller Preserve spoiled me. There was no shortage of scenery and things to marvel at and photograph.

Grand Teton Park Ranger

They say you never forget your first, and I'll certainly never forget Katie, my first park ranger. She taught us a lot about the preserve, the edible berries on the trail, the animals, and that drinking water is the best thing do to when you are out of breath because it replaces oxygen in your body. The hike to Phelps Lake is probably easier than it seemed to this hiking newbie, but I didn't have much to complain about given this view.

Grand Tetons Rockefeller Preserve

After hiking up and through what seemed like a forest that would never end, we reached a clearing where the Grand Tetons where in sight.

Teton Range Phelps Lake

Every few feet was another view of the Grand Tetons that was worthy of being a postcard. And it just didn't stop until we reached the beach.

Rockefeller Preserve Phelps Lake

At Phelps Lake we stopped and had lunch and Katie kept dropping knowledge. These photographs don't do the view justice. I wish there was a way to present just how immense and fake it seemed. It looked as if an artist had been commanded by Hitchcock to paint the perfect background and he had come back with this.

Phelps Lake Rockefeller Preserve

I felt as if I could walk out to a point in the lake and I would touch a wall or the canvas this had all be perfectly painted on. How can those mountains looks so perfect all the time?

Rockefeller Log Cabin Phelps Lake

Remember the Rockefellers and donated land I mentioned above? Just a few years prior I would not have been able to stand on this beach and take this photograph of a photograph. Remember, this was all private property and owned by the Rockefellers and used as a vacation spot. When they donated the land they moved over 30 structures to allow for the land to be restored. Can you imagine just being able to pick up your vacation compound and moving it?

This view here at Phelps Lake was just so spectacular. I felt like at any moment a giant hand would remove a larger photo from in front of the photo I was holding and reveal this wasn't real. The water was so clear, the mountains so perfect, and save for the noise created by our group, there was no noise. I don't think I've ever had a more perfect lunch spot.

MrbrownThumb Phelps Lake

I commemorated the event by taking my first ever national park selfie.

Rockefeller Preserve Visitor Center

Back at the Laurance S. Rockefeller Preserve Center you can learn more about Mr. Rockefeller's legacy of conservation stewardship. The center features composting toilets and is the first LEED certified property in Wyoming.  Ranger Katie told us that someone once asked Mr. Rockefeller why his father left him that land and he answered that because his father must have known he would do the right thing with it.

I'm glad both of the Rockefellers understood the importance of this piece of land because it is something that everyone should experience. The attention paid to detail in returning this land to as near pristine condition as possible is amazing. The site of the old Rockefeller ranch was bio-remidiated with seeds and plantings collected from nearby the site.  Now that this is part of the national park system, many generations will be able to walk these trails and sit on the edge of Phelps Lake and wonder if the mountains at a distance are real.

What is #ALEX14 ? It is the hashtag of the American Latino Heritage Fund Expedition for 2014. In its second year, ALEX is an effort to introduce the national park system to a new generation of Americans who will in turn introduce the national parks to other Americans who have never been or are even aware that visiting national parks is even an option. Eight Latin@ blogger and social media influencers were selected by the National Park Foundation to tour the Grand Teton National Park and discover our role in the future stewardship of national parks. The trip was made possible through partnerships with Go RVing, Aramark, Columbia, Alaska Airlines and REI who generously paid for accommodations, clothing, food and travel costs.

If you plan on visiting Grand Teton National Park, pick up a copy of Grand Teton National Park - Trails Illustrated Map # 202 And a laminated copy of Mac's Field Guide to Yellowstone & Grand Teton National Parks: Trees & Wildflowers to help you identify the trees, plants and flowers you'll encounter.

See my post about Day Two at Jenny Lake and Day Three at West Thumb Geyser Basin.

Did you know that the national park system is prohibited by law from spending tax dollars on advertising? If they can't advertise like amusement parks and other travel destinations, how are new generations of Americans suppose to know learn about national parks? Have you ever been to Grand Teton National Park?

11 comments:

  1. I love this. What an awesome project to be a part of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lelo. I was an amazing experience for sure. I still can't believe I got chosen to participate. But I'm glad I did. It has kind of changed my life. Or at least changed how I'm looking at the world around me.

      Delete
  2. What a great post! Lovely photographs and I like your selfie. And the "spree killer" comment, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LostRoses. I hope you come back for the rest of the #ALEX14 posts. I saw a lot of beautiful things and hope to share more pictures of the trip.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing this glorious spot and great adventure with us. It certainly sounds like an item for my bucket list. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renata, you should definitely add this national park to your bucket list.

      Delete
  4. What a fantastic opportunity for you, MBT. Agreed - it's a life-changing place. My ex's best friend is an artist who lives in Jackson Hole - moved there after falling in love with the place after several trips there to paint. Sure was nice having a friend there to entice us to visit. We loved it and seriously considered moving out west back in the 1970's. Great photos. So glad you got to visit this gorgeous place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Garden Girl,

      That's pretty cool. You should have moved there or bought a home there in the 1970s. Jackson sure is pretty but it is so expensive. I was shocked at the prices of the homes I looked into while there. Take a look at the other posts about the trip if you get a chance. It was an awesome trip.

      Delete
    2. It's incredibly expensive there. If we'd bought a home in Jackson in the '70's, I'd be retired now for sure :) This is our friend: http://www.davemcnallyart.com/ If you check out his website you may recognize some of the scenes. I definitely plan to check out the other posts - took a quick look at the photos already but want to go back and read. So thrilled you had this great opportunity, and now, great memories and photos.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous9:03 AM

    Amazing photos!! What an experience. I visited Yellow Stone in the 60's with small children. Never got a chance to return. I still have the photos!!
    I have a Canon G10 and still learning to use it. Cannot get over the quality of your photos!! Way to go!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I hope you get a chance to return to the park one day. Thank you for the nice comments on the photos! I'm still learning to use my camera too!

      Delete

Hi!

Feel free to leave a comment. You can always use the search box for my blog or the search "Google For Gardeners" if you're looking for gardening information. If you're looking for seed saving information check out "Seed Snatcher"search engine.

Do not have a blog yourself? Comment using the "anonymous" feature. If you have a Twitter or FB account feel free to use the "Name URL" feature so other people can find you.


Thanks for visiting.